If there were ever a time to upgrade your AutoCAD license it is now! So what's new? Whilst there doesn’t seem to be any one “new” thing, there is a plethora of product enhancements to existing commands and features. One thing that isn't new is the DWG file type, yes AutoCAD 2016 will still run on AutoCAD 2013 DWG.
Here’s a brief list of some of the new enhancements and features…
- Snap to geometric centre. A new object snap mode – geometric centre, or GCE at the command-line – allows you to snap to the centre of closed polylines, whether regular or irregular.
- REVCLOUD command has some new options.
- The DIM command has been updated. The command has combined all dimensions creation controls into one command. Simply type DIM on the command line and right-click. Thankfully, I no longer have to find or remember the commands for the individual dimension types.
- Attach and view Autodesk Navisworks (.NWC, .NWD) and BIM 360™ Glue models directly inside AutoCAD.
- It’s great to see some point cloud feature extraction capabilities being introduced in the product. You can create as-built drawings from point clouds, extract your floor plan directly from a cross-section of the point cloud and snap to edges, corners, and centrelines of point cloud geometry using Object Snap.
- AutoCAD 2016 creates better PDFs. They are smaller, generated more quickly and now searchable.
- Visual enhancements help you see your drawings more clearly. Readability is improved with true curves instead of line segments.
- Smart Dimensioning - automatically create appropriate measurements. Pass the cursor over selected objects to get a preview of the dimension.
Well that’s it for this non-exhaustive look at AutoCAD 2016’s new features/enhancements – these are great and will be very useful indeed. It is also very nice to see so many AUGI Wish List items addressed in one release.
For more information,